I heard the marriage law changed. What does it mean?

The right to marry in Australia will no longer be determined by sex or gender. As of the 9th of December 2017 couples who wish to get legally married do not have to be opposite sex. Yay! The definition of marriage according to Australian law is now “the union of two people to the exclusion of all others voluntarily entered into for life”

[accordion title="What is a civil marriage celebrant?"]

It is someone authorised by the government to perform legally binding marriage ceremonies. They are not affiliated with a religious group.

What does a marriage celebrant do?

They help a couple to put together a ceremony for their wedding day that reflects them as a couple, their beliefs and their wants. The celebrant takes care of the legal documentation and is in charge of running the ceremony on the day to ensure all goes smoothly.

Why chose a civil ceremony?

Religious ceremonies are usually very structured and the wording cannot be changed. With a civil ceremony you have the freedom to put in any readings that you think fit you as a couple, your vows can include more (or less!) than the traditional vows and if you want to exchange vows in a hot air balloon you can!

Civil ceremonies need not be secular however, if you wish to include religious blessings or prayers you can – it’s your ceremony!

Can I really have anything I want?

There is a very small amount of legal wording that needs to be included in your ceremony. If you are uncomfortable in front of crowds or don’t feel the need to have a ceremony with all the “bells and whistles” I can prepare a ceremony for you that will take you from single to married in just five minutes. If you want a ceremony that runs an hour long with a brace of people to help you get your personal message across, I can do that too.

How do we set up a meeting?

Send an email through on the contact page and I will email/call you to arrange the best time for us to meet to discuss your wedding day.

Do we need to bring anything?

To get the formalities and legalities out of the way, please bring your original birth certificate or your passport to the meeting as your proof of birth and identity. If you were previously married, the divorce certificate or a death certificate to prove how the previous marriage ended.

K + J – 28th February